Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Funny how dinner time favorites evolve

I long for the day when someone isn't sick in my house. Kids are such adorable petri dishes. I have been playing nurse to a spouse and two children for the past couple of weeks. I fear the next illness that hits us will be zombieism. Then I'll get all freaked out because my family started the zombie apocalypse. Can zombies be vegan? I guess if the human consents, but I don't really recall any humans willingly giving themselves over to a pack of zombies. Laugh if you must, I do think about these things. And zombies are non discriminating. They'll happily nom on animals, and we all know that isn't vegan.


Anyway--when I'm sick, I really like comfort food. But this time I wasn't sick, I just wanted some probiotics. Well, since the P word is all the rage most people think you can only get that stuff from dairy yogurt. WRONG! Probiotics are just positive bacteria that fights the bad stuff and makes your colon have a happy face. You can find probiotics in most fermented or cultured milks.
In comes miso gravy. If you click on the link, you can see that I've been in love with it for a while. Back in the day I wasn't as confident in the kitchen, so I leaned a lot on premade vegan meats. Well tonight is that dish evolved.
Look at those chick-un croquets! Super easy to make: just take your favorite seitan recipe and tear it to bits. Mix it with a vegan buttermilk-(for you newbies, that's 2 caps of apple cider vinegar to 1 c. soy or other non dairy milk), breadcrumbs, and the appropriate spices. You now have something that will debunk the myths that vegan meat is not as good as animal meat. Pssst: it's the flavoring you crave, not the flesh. Animal protein is pretty much a blank slate like seitan or tofu is. You just have to know how to cook it! Buck up, campers--I know you can do it!

No comments: